[LAU] Any HW and SW based backing-band solutions?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Apr 3 10:52:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 12:18 +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> On 04/03/2013 11:51 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 09:30 +0200, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> >> The problem here is that it's only one output (Line/Phones - 22 ohms)
> >> that gives way to low output for line level, are someone aware of a
> >> decent pre amp (DIY is ok) that can be plugged into line input level
> >> in a mixer?
> >
> > I don't like to use headphone outputs, but a mixer should be able to be
> > used with the signal from a headphone output. A phones output unlikely
> > will produce a too low level for a line input.
> >
> > What mixing console are you using?
>
> Mackie 802-vlz3, but my mic preamps (3 of them) are always occupied, so
> it's only channel line inputs (or "tape in") left.
>
> When I connect the BR-80 to the input channel, then I have to turn the
> channel level to max and the mic levels very low, only a slight turn on
> gain by accident will mess up the mix. This is very annoying in a
> stressful live situation where I want everything to work at once.
>
> http://www.mackie.com/products/802vlz3/
>
> So far, it have been working very well for us/me when providing only one
> or 2 channels for the in house mixer in order to get started fast, we
> have a reputation of having "CD quality" sound for our gigs - wich is
> not true of course -  but we are so far only playing in places where
> it's 20-250 persons, so I don't know how long this setup works.

Are you sure that the BR-80's line/phones output isn't defect? Unlikely
that all Mackie line ins are defect. I can't believe that the output of
a Roland device doesn't work with the input of a Mackie mixer. You can
use the BR-80 with headphones? It's loud or silent when connecting
headphones with how much ohm?

I suspect that the BR-80 is broken.