[LAU] ABX test invite

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Wed Apr 3 19:06:57 UTC 2013

Quoting Peder Hedlund <peder at musikhuset.org>:

> In view of the recent debate regarding the alledged "crappiness" of MP3
> I thought it would be fun to see if the LAU society can tell lame
> (v3.99.4) MP3s from the original.
>
> Everyone is invited to download the testfiles from
> http://www.musikhuset.org/~peder/AxelF.zip , see if you can ABX them
> and post the result.

I actually surprised myself regarding the 124 kbps sample :

trials 10

against 165: correct 5, p-value 0.623
against 124: correct 10, p-value 0.000977
against 108: correct 10, p-value 0.000977

Tested using Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones.

A hint for testing is to have the sound start playing at 5s and listen
to the "warble". At around 8s there's a distinct flaw that also sticks
out.

One drawback in using the ABX Tester from
http://phintsan.kapsi.fi/abx.html is that it's not double blind since
you know which file is A and which is B.
I think the foobar2000 ABX plugin randomizes this at startup.
But then again, once you've figured out what to listen for you hear it
pretty much instantly, if you *can* hear it.

- Peder