[LAU] Definition of "sound quality"

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 14:14:52 UTC 2013

There's a couple things you're hinting at that can be explained with math
and one that can be explained psychologically:

Signals with compact support in the time domain have infinitely long
support in the frequency domain.  When you color a sound with non-flat
frequency response, you lose the compactness of the original signal.
Muddiness comes about when the frequencies have different group delays or
when some frequencies are cut.

The best mix preserves the distinctness of each part.  One of my favorite
articles is "Tone and Voice" by David Huron.  The article makes it clear
that musical practice derives itself from balance and independence of its
parts (specifically as applied to voice leading but when applied more
generally it has some insights for engineering more modern music)

Chuck