[LAU] E-MU 1212m soundcard installation help for the blind

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Sun Apr 7 16:47:03 UTC 2013

Julien Claassen wrote:
> EMU10K1_Audigy 0000:04:04.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNEB] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
> EMU10K1_Audigy 0000:04:04.0: PCI INT A disabled
> EMU10K1_Audigy: probe of 0000:04:04.0 failed with error -5
>
> does that look, as if Ralf might have a point there and there's
> something disabled or badly configured in my BIOS afterall?

No, this has nothing to do with the BIOS.  (Once a PCE-E device shows
up correctly in lspci, it's almost impossible for the BIOS to breaks
things.)

What this shows is that the driver aborts during its initialization.
The only place where it does this with error code -5 but without
outputting any specific error message is in emufx.c in the functions
snd_emu10k1_*init_efx(), when a consistency check for the number of
allocated registers/RAM locations fails.

I'd guess that some change to the DSP program was never tested with the
particular configuration of the PCIe 1212m.

I don't know how the Emu10k1's DSP is programmed, or how the program
could be changed to get these pointers correct.  Mikael? James?

Regards,
Clemens