[LAU] Skype won't work though JACK plugin

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sun Apr 7 21:54:51 UTC 2013

Hi list,

Redirecting the ALSA default device to JACK seems to be
well-traveled territory,[1,2] nevertheless, I'm not getting
all the behaviors I'd like. Flash works, but Skype doesn't,
and surprisingly Ecasound doesn't do well either (an
interesting data point although hardly a problem.)
Perhaps Skype is trying to work via /dev/dsp?

I'm curious if anyone else is getting better results.

Here are my test results:

aplay test.wav                       # plays!
aplay -D default test.wav            # plays!

mplayer -ao alsa:default test.wav    # plays!
mplayer -ao alsa test.wav            # plays!

ecasound -i test.wav -o alsa         # weird noise after several seconds delay
ecasound -i test.wav -o alsa,default # weird noise after several seconds delay

Flash/Firefox                        # plays!

skype                                # "problem with audio playback"

I'm running JACK like this:

jackd -d alsa -d hw:0,0 -r 44100 -H

And I'm using this asoundrc:

pcm.!default {