[LAU] One or two HD's for audio work

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 9 23:33:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 00:46 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 05.04.2013 03:10, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > I don't think that this usually is needed, using one drive with one
> > partition IMO usually isn't a bottleneck.
>
> This may be true in 99.9 out of 100 minutes of recording until that
> statistically unlikely event happens, that some operation is keen to
> load a lib from the disk while another important operation wants to load
> another 20 seconds 96/32 audio data for 32 tracks from the very same disk.
>
> While I agree, that Linux in pretty good in using RAM for caching and we
> live in times where a complete 4-min track on 20+ tracks fits into a
> RAM-disk I would not take chances.
>
> I have a SSD for all the software and the OS and a conventional drive
> for the audio/video data plus 8Gig RAM and so I do not need to even
> think about, whether bad side-effects could occure or not. Not that
> expensive and good for my nerves... ;-)

I've got two drives installed and an external drive, so usually I use
two, but not three drives. Since I'm just playing at the moment, no
serious work, I only use one drive for everything. Not a good test set
up right now, since only one sequencer and 2 soft synth are running ;),
it might become more complex. FWIW 4 GiB - framebuffer here.