[LAU] Pre-emphasis detection

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Apr 12 19:41:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 03:33:26PM +0100, R Kimber wrote:

> I recently came across a CD with pre-emphasis and, given that I have a load
> of files on HD - some of which are from a company that is said to have used
> pre-emphasis - I would like to check to see if it is used in any of these
> files.

If the copy was made from the analog outputs of a CD player then the
player will have applied de-emphasis so the file will be OK. If the
copy was made digitally it depends on the sofware used.

A pre-emphasised CD played without de-emphasis will sound unusually
bright. The pre-emphasis is roughly the same as a typical 'treble'
tone control set to +10 dB, so it should be pretty obvious.

Ciao,

--
FA