[LAU] mixing problem

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Thu Apr 18 15:58:58 UTC 2013

Am 18.04.2013 14:29, schrieb Raffaele Morelli:
> 2013/4/18 Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org>:
>> When sounds are competing in the mix, the frequently given advice is usually
>> to carve out frequency ranges for them with EQ.
>>
>> But what do you do when its a thick analog keyboard part that spans a
>> 4-octave range, and the range it's playing is the whole musical point of it?
>> What do you do for those parts that won't fit in an EQ shoebox?

Some may say: rearrange the song...

I think: there is no such thing as bad sound, only a plethora of
opportunities for wrong sound. If the musicians like it, it sounds
"good"(ever heared norwegian Black Metal? ;-) ). If you hear sounds
competing, play a sane mix to them and ask the musicians, whether they
like it or not and if not, ask them, if they see a possibility to
*play*/arrange it differently.
To unmix wrong arrangements is second-best....