[LAU] Video micing question

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Apr 20 17:15:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:58:13AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Soldering is an art form, one I have found I can't teach just anybody to
> do. Decent tools to do these repairs will run toward $300.  The soldering
> iron itself will run from $130 to $250 USD. Suitable razor sharp. /flush
> cut/ 4" diagonal cutters, 5" curved nose suture clamps, solder suckers to
> clean this up with, small, quality screw drivers that actually /fit/ the
> screws, the knowledge to use the correct screwdriver for /that/ screw, even
> a good, razor sharp pocket knife will be needed.

:-) It's indeed incredible what you find sometimes when opening up
the XLRs on the ends of a failed cable. Big, spherical blobs of tin
on the solder cups, insulation of signal wires destroyed by too much
heat...  Not to speak of the rest of the cable. On of the first things
I had to do at the CdM was to replace or remake *all* the cables and
teach the users how to coil a cable after use. I still have a few 10m
long 'telephone handset' cables to show how it should *not* be done...
And some XRL-Fs which had the #1 socket ripped out by someone pulling
the cable... (it *does* take some force to do that)

Caio,

--
FA