[LAU] [Music] Horror prog: Spiral Torso Op

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Apr 20 20:33:06 UTC 2013

On Sat, April 20, 2013 12:59 pm, Q wrote:

> It's nothing special rhythmically: starts in 11/8, then 10/8, then
> free-form, then 10/8 and finally back to 11/8 with the reprise. I tend
> not to solo "in time", just continuing a phrase until it ends, wherever
> that may be, so I guess that makes it seem a little more complex than it
> really is.

Thankyou for the explanation. That explains the feel timing wise. I wasn't
paying that much attention to the beat but just felt it was different. (It
has been a long time since I did much drumming, but I should have caught
it anyway)

> There are a lot of little "moments" that I like and I'd be hard-pressed
> to choose a favourite, but I was pleased with how nicely the 12-string
> electric came out. I'm glad there was plenty to tickle your ears.
>
> I've not consciously done anything different with my drum processing --
> probably just slightly less unskilled use of EQ and compression. Same
> for the mix as a whole. Perhaps I'm actually learning.
>
> But I don't have any standard ways of doing things, I just process stuff
> in what seems to be the best way at the time that I'm doing it.
>
> I tend to lean towards more sparing use of reverb, although probably not
> as sparing as a lot of classic prog from the 70s. I think too little is
> probably better than too much, so better to go easy.

It is always good to hear how something was mixed/effected. I am still
just learning. I do tend to go over on the reverb I think, good pointer.

I haven't really tried out A3 yet, I am still working with A2 as my DAW. I
don't find it limiting though as I record all analog signals right now. I
have MIDI equipment, but I am still exploring having lots of tracks. When
I was last recording, I had only 4 tracks and so using one for timecode so
I could track drums and some other things as MIDI was worthwhile (almost
20years ago). Having unlimited tracks is a new experience :)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net