[LAU] Video micing question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 23 00:36:00 UTC 2013

On Monday 22 April 2013 11:47:21 Thomas Vecchione did opine:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > And yes, when I bought them it was in bags of 24 each.  Along with
> > 1000 foot spools of Susan Clarks (Clark wire & cable in Chicago)
> > star-quad mic cable.  There is no other like it, soft, pliable /and/
> > long lasting. Belden's version is hard shelled, so hard it telegraphs
> > into the connector and breaks itself off in 10% of the time it takes
> > to break the star-quad.
>
> Haven't used Belden's quad, but have you tried out Canare's?  L4E6 is
> remarkably cheap, as in cheaper than non-quad cable for many things and
> I have had very good luck with it here.

I've heard good things about it, but little experience, and likely none in
the future as I've been retired for 11 years now.  So I get to play with
the toys I want to play with. :)  How is it for lay there like cooked
spaghetti suppleness?

> I used to save a lot more jacks etc. than I do now.  Even on a tight
> budget however these days it is often a much better idea for me to get
> new cables two-day shipped via Amazon from a knock-off (GLS Audio is
> remarkably decent for the price, even with knock off Neutrik
> connectors) and keep a stash of Neutrik connectors on hand.  I keep
> spools of cable on hand only if I don't have time to order the cables
> so I can put one together in a hurry.
>
>       Seablade

Amazon, which I do occasionally use, did not exist back then.

I did get, I hope, my problems with ebay/paypal cleared up this morning,
but like breeding elephants, lots of kicking and screaming both to get
their attention and to get the proof (it just works) the next time I try to
buy on ebay.  Those folks are a certified PIMA to deal with, they never
make a mistake (it says here).  If they never make a mistake, then I've got
that famous bridge, now in Sun City AZ for sale...

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that carries any
reward.
		-- John Maynard Keynes
         law-abiding citizens.