[LAU] no sound in ubuntu studio 13.04

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Apr 29 15:07:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, April 29, 2013 10:43 pm, architectadrian wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu Studio 13.04 and have no sound. I reinstalled the
> system
> due to some video card errors I could not bypass after an upgrade from
> Ubuntu Studio 12.10, but on the old system the sound (and video) was
> working. The only thing I had was a sound from the microphone, after I
> unmuted it in alsamixer. No other playing or recording was available.
> Can anyone help me with this? I wouldn't like to go back to 12.10, install
> all programs and updates again.
> Thank you.

You can check your alsa install by looking at /proc/asound

ex.   cat /proc/asound/cards

After that step you can test pulseaudio with paplay

ex.   paplay <file>.ogg/mp3/wav

You should be able to see something happening in the audio settings app
available by right clicking on the volume icon on the desktop toolbar.

> --

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd