[LAU] USB cassette player only recognized as mono device

Jim Henderson hendersj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 18:07:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:39:35 -0400, Rob wrote:

> I'd think the waveforms being "somewhat different" would be a good
> enough confirmation, but if you have any music with exaggerated stereo
> separation (my go-to example is the guitar solo on "Yours Is No
> Disgrace" by Yes... woo hoo, stoner on the faders!) that should remove
> all doubt.

Thanks, sometimes the obvious is easiest to overlook. :)  Most of my
recordings are classical music recordings (which do have some stereo
separation but generally not significantly different), but I think I know
one I can try with.

> But if they provided any specialized recording software under Windows
> (i.e., not Audacity), that's probably a good indicator that it's not a
> standard USB audio device.

I should have clarified that both of my tests were with Audacity - both
platforms downloaded from respective sources (Linux download was from the
openSUSE repositories, Windows download was from the Audacity website).
No special drivers were installed in the Windows VM - it worked just as
plug and play.

Jim

--
 Jim Henderson