[LAU] Unusual error message when recording

Kevin Utter kvutter at frii.com
Thu Aug 8 23:25:58 UTC 2013

Hi all!  I haven't seen this error before, and don't know what it means:

subgraph starting at a2j timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=19, status = 0, state = Finished, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)

This occurred when recording the audio from a softsynth played by a MIDI sequence.  Applications were: MIDISH, setBfree, Nama, Jackd, and A2JMIDID.  It occurs consistently after aprox. 20-25 seconds.

A similar error occurs when recording no audio from Jack with Nama:

subgraph starting at Nama timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=17, status = 0, state = Running, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)

This is without MIDISH or setBfree.  At the same time, Nama responds:

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.411 msecs

zombified - calling shutdown handler

At which point Nama has to be stopped with Ctrl-C.  This occurs with and without lightdm (desktop manager) running.  I'm currently running Jack 1.

Previously when running Jack 2, I would get XRuns at the same 20-25 second interval, but recording would continue.

I had thought that perhaps the error might be caused because my whole operating system is on a USB disc, in order to keep the rest of the system unchanged, but is this the type of error I would expect in a situation where audio file writing to a perhaps slow disc would give, or is this something else?  I probably need to reconsider running from a USB disc, but I wasn't quite ready to play with re-partitioning Windows discs, and playing with dual boot situations yet, although it is still perhaps a better idea.

Sorry to be so verbose, but wanted to be thorough.  Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Kevin