[LAU] Using a USB pedalboard to trigger keystrokes

Chuck Martin v4o42wl02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:35:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 08:48:45PM +0200, Julien Claassen julien-at-mail.upb.de wrote:
>   Someone told me, that they were intending to get a pedalboard to
> trigger keystrokes to control some commandline applications. And
> I've been wondering.
>   Does anyone have experience with that? A specific device and what
> about the configuration tools for such tasks? I've been searching
> the web a little, but unfortunately keyboard, pedalboard and the
> like are very ambiguous search terms, so the results were rather
> unhelpful.
>   Any ideas would be welcome. Since I can't solder myself, I'd
> prefer prebuilt solutions. I'm pretty sure, that this would be
> possible with Arduino based solutions, but I'd rather not for a
> start. :-)

This link was mentioned on this list once:

https://github.com/rgerganov/footswitch

It's not for a pedalboard, but rather for individual footswitches.  The
page has a link to where you can get the footswitches, and there are
both single and triple footswitches there.  Direct links to the ones
you might be most interested in are:

http://www.pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=5
http://www.pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=150
http://www.pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=149

These all plug into the USB port.  You might want to check out the
others, too, but some of them are mechanical switches only, and
wouldn't suit your purpose.  I have no experience with these or the
software, but I bookmarked them when they were mentioned here before,
just in case.

Chuck