[LAU] Decompressor for linux?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun Aug 11 08:57:10 UTC 2013

It's been a while since I did anything with linux audio, or even had much to do with music, but now I'm attempting to listen to music that has been recently released, and find it unlistenable.

The mastering! The compression! It burns!! It burns!!! Auugh, my ears!!

I mean, it's obviously distorted. I can hear the clipping. People are putting out released tracks that I can't listen to without getting a splitting headache.

Is there any such thing that I might be able to pipe into an ALSA or JACK setup, which would repair these broken tracks?

It's sad. It's like people are mastering for laptop speakers, cellphone speakers, or earbuds, and nothing else.

FWIW, as an example, I've just stumbled across the music of Amanda Palmer, downloaded her latest album, I think the music is great, or could be, but I can't listen to it because of the mastering.

-ken