[LAU] Decompressor for linux?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Mon Aug 12 15:29:36 UTC 2013

I followed this thread some.  I agree that getting back to the
uncompressed audio would be virtually impossible without knowing
the non-linear transfer function that resulted in what exists
now.  But, I have hardware, both in my "home stereo" and in my
recording rack that is a "decompressor"; I think most people
would call those "expanders", as is the label on the gear.
Oddly, the home stereo version is more adjustable.  I can't get
back uncompressed audio with those.  But, I do get audio with
more dynamic range, and it's only a question of how pleasing the
result is as to whether it's worth using.

I hope that's useful commentary & info.

Cheerio....

--
Kevin