[LAU] How to finalize and make movie DVD

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Mon Aug 12 20:14:14 UTC 2013

Quoting Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com>:

> Linux video NLEs like kdenlive and openshot all support HD video. Not sure
> if they can do 5.1 audio, though, as I think that requires a proprietary
> codec (AC3?)

I guess the workaround would be something like this :
* Edit the video in an NLE of ones choice
* Render out a HD version and then a low-res version for importing
into Ardour3
* Edit and sync the sound in Ardour3 and render it out into 6 mono files
* Run a program like multimux
(http://www.boutell.com/lsm/lsmbyid.cgi/002177) with the -f option to
mux the mono files into a multichannel ac3 using ffmpeg (or just mux
them to a wav and use the free-for-personal-and-noncommercial Nero
encoder to convert to ac3).
* Mux the HD version and the ac3 file using mkvmerge

- Peder