[LAU] alsaplayer error using USB Audio DAC

Roger Weinheimer rweinheimer at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 09:43:24 UTC 2013

OK, I can play wav files using aplay through the USB DAC. It doesn't matter whether I specify card and device on the command line or in an asoundrc file. Getting back to the subject of this thread, the problem is with alsaplayer. Alsaplayer can play wav files through the SoundByLayout (onboard card) of the mac mini directly into an amp, but when I try to play the same wav file with alsaplayer through the USB DAC, I get the originally posted error(s). Doesn't matter if it is flac or wav, the error is the same.

$ alsaplayer file.wav
error on set_format SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16
Unavailable hw params:
... (detail in original post)
error on set_format SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16
Unavailable hw params:
... (detail in original post)
failed to configure output device...trying OSS
... (above repeated once)
$

I would prefer to use alsaplayer, which supports compression and already has all the handy control (start-stop-pause) functions. I assume this is some configuration or missing library(?) issue with alsaplayer. I appreciate any help.