[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode002

Barney Holmes djbarney at djbarney.org
Wed Aug 14 13:36:15 UTC 2013

Using FLOSS can have its frustrations. Especially in the electronica realm
its important to be extra strict. A very logical approach to studio set up
is required especially as there are so many options out there (this is why
there are companies like, forget the name, but the company who sells pre
FLOSS loaded laptops to musicians who just want to hit the road running).
This carries through to the Linux/FLOSS ecosystem. A few companies have
made the mistake of misunderstanding this ecosystem and have been
criticised for not passing bug fixes downstream - look up a few talks by
Linux Kernel developer Greg Kroah-Hartman for the low down on that.

Linux development is also dependent on the approach of the developers. We
all know projects that are difficult to work with or took inadvisable
development directions. Some of this is sometimes in response to users
misunderstanding of FLOSS. Developers can fall for constant user requests
for features based on the user wanting a "free" piece of software as a
replacement for a commercial applications. Of course "free" ain't free. A
lot of people give a lot of their time - all man hours that could be given
a financial value if someone wanted to do the figures !

See this page from the Handbrake project (a video transcoder) for an
example of a response to this kind of problem -
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/IsIsnt