[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode002

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 16:44:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Dan MacDonald <allcoms at gmail.com> wrote:

>  When you submit a bug report, you're certainly helping--but you're
>>> helping other users and yourself. You're not helping the developer (if they
>>> hit the bug in their use of the software, they'd just fix it).
>>>

> I'd have to disagree with you there Mr L. Non-descript bug reports are
> useless of course but well-constructed, up-to-date bug reports are surely
> of use to a developer who cares about his project but doesn't have time to
> thoroughly test it- which is the case for most FLOSS devs. Just because a
> dev hasn't spotted a flaw yet in their usage of their software doesn't mean
> its not a potential showstopper for other users of that app.

My point is that it doesn't help them personally. It only helps the
reporter and potentially any other user who uses the software in the same
environment or workflow that triggers the bug. Haivng software that works
everywhere and in any situation may be good for the developer's ego or
whatever, but it is not required in order for him to accomplish his own
work (which is presumably why the software was originally written). To put
it another way, any aspect of the software,be it features or fixes, that
does not directly affect the workflow of the developer is done purely for
the sake of others.