[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode002

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 16:53:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM, J. Liles <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  To put it another way, any aspect of the software,be it features or
>> fixes, that does not directly affect the workflow of the developer is done
>> purely for the sake of others
>>

> the topic of the semi-private ardour developers IRC channel is this:
>
>      One of the secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing
> is what we do for others. (Lewis Carroll)
>
> honestly, i'm not attempting to sound preachy.

To be clear, I'm not advocating not helping others, I'm simply pointing out
the altruistic nature of developers responding to bug reports. The OP makes
it seem like he's doing the developer a big favor by engaging in the
reporting process--when the truth is that his 15 minute bug report
generates hours of work for the developer--that the developer could have
most likely lived his entire life without needing to do otherwise. There's
an underlying sense of entitlement there that is really toxic to any
process of collaboration.