[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

Egor Sanin egor.sanin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 17:23:15 UTC 2013

I shall contiribute my voice, too.

On 8/16/13, hermann meyer <brummer- at web.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Move your ass and work on it to make it better, there is no other way
> around. It didn't help to just blame those who do the work, they wasn't
> burn as developers, they become developers because they have moved there
> asses.
>
> If you see a other way, let us know.

It is important to note that time is a finite quantity in the physical
reality we are all a part of.  This fact limits the amount of "work"
any one person can perform.

"Work" can be of different types.  The comment above suggests to me
the opinion that the "work" of developers is of higher value because
to become a developer one has to "move their ass."  The problem with
this statement when talking about audio software is that just having
the software is pointless.  The software is made to be used to create
music, or at least some sort of audio output.  People producing this
output, often called musicians, also need to do a lot of "work."  To
be a musician, one must also "move their ass."

The "work" of musicians is different, but no less valuable than the
"work" of developers, so let's not get our egos too hot here.  Just
because one person does not have enough time to perform developer
"work" because most of his time is spent doing musician "work" (please
research the amount of music that OP has produced with Linux audio
software) is no reason to make him a scapegoat.

And a not on the "goal" of OP's podcasts (I am not speaking for him,
rather simply providing my interpretation): a piece of criticism is
usually created to generate discussion.  In the most basic form, this
is enough of a reason to do something.