[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 18:14:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 13:46 -0400, Egor Sanin wrote:
> > On 8/16/13, J. Liles <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As a though experiment: pretend you are a musician;
> > > if someone came to you asking you to rewrite your song to better suit
> their
> > > listening needs, how would you respond?
>
> There's a difference between art and tools released for the public.
> Art, excepted of the crap on the radio, should not suit to anything.
> A tool, even if it's for free as in beer, needs some quality. For
> example, if I build a power supply for somebody for free, this person
> can't expect that I fulfill all imaginable uses, e.g. for somebody who
> needs it for a Tattoo machine, I won't provide balanced voltage, but it
> could be used with the bikes battery and mains. What I fulfil is
> security, if she/he should hang ab the tattoo machine on the bikes
> handlebars no short will destroy anything, if the mains are used, nobody
> getting tattooed will get an electric shock. If I build a power supply
> just for my self, not for anybody else, I can ignore some security
> things, because I know what I do with this power supply. I even could
> use banana jacks instead of a Schuko jack to connect to the mains.
>
> > If some brash and shallow peruser of linux expressed the same opinions
> > as OP, I would likely also bash that person
>
> Why the double standards?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Ralf, perhaps you've never read it, but you should. this is part of the GPL
preamble:

/* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT */
/* ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
or       */
/* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License
for   */
/* more
details.

It was not put there without reason.