[LAU] Art's suitability for anything

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 17 21:40:52 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-17 at 11:15 -1000, david wrote:
> My non-musical artist daughter says that if a piece of art doesn't
> communicate, it's not art; it's just a "spot on the wall."

I agree, but it's said that if something doesn't communicate, it does
communicate that it doesn't communicate, IOW it's impossible not to
communicate.

> Nothing made by humans is beyond culture, since all humans are
> embedded in at least one culture.

Yesno, you for example could care about something while being against
it, e.g. by using an inverted cross, but you also can ignore what you
don't like, e.g. don't fight against "organized Christianity", but
against lies per se, you won't find a cross or an inverted cross among
my things, I simply don't care about it, OTOH there are "things" that
shaped us, e.g. Christian values, while not being a Christian. Christian
or not, less of us will kill our daughters, if she is in love with a man
we don't like, this is completely different for other cultures, ... what
I want to point out is, that artists should be philosophers. It doesn't
matter what culture does surround us, we're searching for something and
the result of such a search might fit or not fit to the culture
surrounding us. This isn't rebellion, but might be worth to send a
message by making art.