[LAU] Audio interface MIDI ports just showing on advanced mode

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun Aug 18 19:32:37 UTC 2013

On 08/18/2013 09:26 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
>> The MIDI port on my UA25EX just shows up when audio card is in advanced
>> driver mode
>
> In Windows, the advanced mode is intended to be used with the Roland
> drivers; disabling it should be necessary only when you're using it with
> a system where these drivers are not installed.  Due to bugs in the
> built-in Windows USB MIDI driver, MIDI is made available only in
> advanced mode.
>
> In theory, Linux should support advanced mode.
>
>> which by now is not the main mode I'm playing because of problems with
>> this mode on Raspberry PI (for the moment It runs with jack1 and it
>> won't start in advanced mode).
>
> Which kernel are you using?  To other programs (i.e., aplay/arecord)
> work?
>
>> I suppose that with Jack2 this won't be a problem
>
> If this is a driver problem, Jack2 will not work either.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

I have the same issue with my UA25 on a Raspberry Pi. With advanced mode
enabled the UA25 simply doesn't work well on the RPi. JACK does start
but a lot of xruns are generated. My guess is that this is probably due
to the poor USB implementation of the RPi. The workaround I use is
adding an extra USB-MIDI cable.

Jeremy