[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 20:30:55 UTC 2013

Dear J. Liles! (I am sorry, I do not know your first name)

Since I've posted my podcast, you have reacted in a rather aggressive
manner, as if I am saying something controversial. Well, I am not. Being
part of a community is being able to freely speak your mind, provided, of
course, it is stated in a polite and respectful manner. I believe I have
not been rude or disrespectful.

If you personally find this discussion useless, no problem. I am not
forcing you to continue.

"just shut your mouth and be happy that people are building you a house for
free out of the kindness of their hearts"

I am afraid I do not see free software community that way.
You are always trying to have someone be obliged to someone else. In my
words you see obligation of the developer to the user, although I have
several times said I do not believe such an obligation exists. Now you hint
at users being obliged to developers.

And just to point out one other small thing:
"If the software can export files, but just not 'properly', by your private
definition, then it's indeed very likely that everbody else who uses it
simply has a different definition of 'properly'."

I have faced situations where a file would get rendered with pops and
clicks in place of certain effects and with whole sections missing from the
middle of the track. Or when a file would just not get rendered at all. I
would be very curious to read the definition, by which this is fine.
Believe me, my needs are nothing fancy. When I say "basic" - I mean it.
And to be fair, this is not only Linux Audio. While on Ubuntu Karmic, I
remember stock DVD burner having a bug that makes the software freeze when
you press "Burn". To me this is also basic functionality lacking, unless I
am missing something fundamental :D

Cheers,

L.V.