[LAU] 3.10-rt kernels unusable

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Mon Aug 26 15:02:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:00:50 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Does a 3.10-rt kernel work for someone on x86_64 architecture without
> issues? The mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI with an AMD Athlon dual-core
> 2.1 GHz, BE-2350 and 4 GiB RAM.

I've booted 3.10-rt on several systems without seeing any issues, but
I'm on vacation and haven't really put them through their paces.  I
haven't noticed anything major like what you mention though...

Seeing that you use that <censured> yaourt to build the kernel package
and even run out of space on your tmpf, maybe something has gone wrong.
Much better would be to install the devtools package and build it in a
chroot, with "sudo extra-x86_64-build".

You could also try the following binary packages that I just uploaded
to see if that makes a difference:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/879835/linux-rt-3.10.9_rt5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/879835/linux-rt-headers-3.10.9_rt5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Finally -rt is an experimental patch and folklore is that it stabilizes
somewhere around -rt10 or so :)  Maybe it would be better to report
you bugs upstream on the linux-rt-users mailing list and see if they
can help you with specific problems/issues.

   Joakim