[LAU] explanation of parameters of ladspa stereo reverb 1950 please?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Aug 26 20:28:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 09:51:08AM -0700, Rusty Perez wrote:

> I understand most of the parameters of the reverb, but, what is the
> "input bw" I know the values are 0-1 but I don't know what it is. BW
> could mean bandwidth? Anyway, some explanation would be appreciated!
> Also, the damping setting. I know what this sounds like it means, but
> any explanations would also be appreciated.

Both parameters directly control a first order lowpass filter,
the range being roughly from sample_frequency/63 (0) going up
to no filtering at all (1).

For 'Input BW' the filter acts on the input signal.
For 'Damping' the filter acts on the feedback path of the reverb,
i.e. it makes the reverb time shorter for high frequencies.

So both controls are very 'low level' and their numerical
values have no simple intuitive meaning for the average user.
Keep in mind that #1950 was written in 2004, and is now well
past its expected lifetime...

If you want a reverb based on the same algorithm but providing
much better quality AND controls calibrated in real-life units,
have a look at zita-rev1 (which is a Jack app, not a plugin).

Ciao,

--
FA