[LAU] OT, but IMO really interesting living history: They still produce cassette tapes in Germany

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 4 01:38:31 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 03 December 2013 20:34:50 Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> In Germany they still produce cassette tapes :). Quality control is done
> with Studer tape recorders and RFT monitors. Some years ago I got two
> RFT monitors for less than 50,- € at Ebay :). Seen on German
> television, today at 18:31 kabel eins. I suspect the Studer studio tape
> recorders are un-payable and impossible to maintain, so I suspect there
> will be no long future for this technology. The same factory does
> produce records too :).
>
> The cassette tapes they produce are audio dramas, they didn't mention
> music.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Studer/Revox?  I spent 2 years, about 1980, keeping 3 of those spinning 14"
NAB reels running in an automation system feeding our FM station at KSUE.
Not a particularly friendly machine to work on, but sure worked nice.  And
no, I wouldn't want to do it again since I don't have the manuals.