[LAU] [OT] SW recommendation

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Dec 14 20:15:46 UTC 2013

I think you really try to be certain you understand what your son's
production flow might be like.

There are a lot of people around at the moment (including my stepson, for
example) who are very, very focused on a musical style that in turn is
built around a production style that is really only well supported by
Ableton Live (although the most recent versions of some other major DAWs
including ProTools get close in many ways).

If that is how he imagines making music (samples, beats, looping, slicing,
dicing, triggering, pitch-shifting, tempo-fitting) then giving him more
traditional tools (particularly Ardour or Mixbus) will probably prove
rather frustrating. On the other hand, if he actually plans to record
himself or others playing instruments and then edit and mix the results,
then Mixbus could be a deeply satisfying option. And note: it isn't that
you can't do the Live-style of production with Mixbus (or Ardour), but it
definitely doesn't flow in the same way.

I know the music my stepson makes, and he has mostly used garageband on his
mac (despite living in the same house as me!) But he finds that pretty
frustrating and really wants to get into Live as his next tool.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com <jonetsu at teksavvy.com