[LAU] question related output level and sound card

Djého Youn ydjeho at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 16:21:30 UTC 2013

Hello, list.

Last time I had a gig in a club where the sound system was really huge, and
I noticed that my signal wasn't loud enough.

I was using just headphone jack out from my laptop, and it hasn't been a
problem...I did plenty of gigs like that and it worked out pretty well. but
with this huge system, my max output didn't even hit the half of level
meter on the main mixer....as I'm obsessed with being loud, I was ashamed
and I need a solution.

I've been told that if I use a dedicated sound card, my output signal can
boost significantly.

is it true?
although it sounds like it makes sense, I doubt it a little bit because I
don't see any output pre-amps...etc. on the sound cards spec. (for inputs,
yes. but what matters for me is the level of output)

BUT if it's true,

what card you recommend to me?
my conditions are:

1. of course, my purpose is to boost my output signal, it has to satisfy
that first of all.
2. my budget is around 100-150 euro, but if needed, I can go a big higher.
3. I'm on Ubuntu 13.10, on lenovo ideapad Y500. I'm not the kind of guy who
can trouble shoot very well, hacking firmwares or whatever. so plug and
play, 'work out of box' kinda card will be great.
4. I do not have firewire port on my laptop, so it must be USB.
5. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've been told also that some
cards output more 'warmer' sounds. I want to prevent that. I want my output
LOUD but NOT warm.

so far, I found this:
http://www.thomann.de/pl/akai_eie_pro.htm

it looks like it will boost some signal. well, it 'looks' like. some of you
guys have this one? some reviews maybe?

also I've been told that the use of little table top compressor can help,
like this one:
http://www.thomann.de/pl/fmr_audio_rnc_1773.htm

if it's the case, maybe I won't need a soundcard. or do I need both? or do
you know some usb sound card that can combine the both??

thank you for all your thoughts and advices.

best,

jae

--
Jae Ho YOUN