[LAU] question related output level and sound card

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 17 09:41:02 UTC 2013

I'm sure others have mentioned this, but laptop headphone out is not
line level anything, it's a final, powered signal intended to play
through laptop or small external speakers.

I have a low-priced UCA-202 USB soundcard, 2 line in, 2 line outs.
Includes hardware monitoring and SPDIF output. Cost about $30 US several
years ago. It has a wider dynamic range than my laptop's built-in Intel
HD sound.

Another option would be too add a small preamp that has amp modelling in
it. That way you could get the gain boost you want, pick the "warm"
sound you want, and send the pro soundboard guys' their preferred
balanced XLR signal.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com