[LAU] Sound card for recording guitar

Roberto Suárez Soto talkingxouba at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 09:13:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a new sound card for recording guitar. As most
recommendations I've seen on the Net are quite old (latest I could get
was from 2012), I'm asking here to get more current information :-)

My current setup is a V-Amp 2 connected through the headphones' output
and a stereo jack to the line-in input in my computer. It's got an AMD
Phenom 945, 12GB RAM and a built-in HDA Intel clone. It works, but it's
noisy and I think it distorts sound when I pump up the volume. I've also
tried a Behringer UCG-102, but it adds a hefty amount of latency (60-70
ms as measured by qjackctl).

I'm not searching for anything "pro", just something cheap (<150€) to
play and sometimes record at home. I wouldn't mind a PCI/PCIe card,
though I worry that two or three years from now computers stop carrying
PCI slots and I have to get rid of it. Searching for USB compatible
devices, I've seen the Shappire 2i2, but reports of it working on Linux
are mixed. A pity, because it sure looks good :-)

So, based on this, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

--
     Roberto Suarez Soto                    We like to party
                                              Rock the party