[LAU] What on earth...

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 22 03:48:57 UTC 2013

On 12/21/2013 01:41 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 22:23:42 +0000
> Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> did the debian devs think they were doing?
>>
>> My music machine is set up precisely as I want it with no spare fluff
>> or eye-candy, and fits my workflow like a glove. I seldom make any
>> changes, but thought it high time I checked for upgraded packages. Up
>> till now this has never been any kind of problem and usually results
>> in some tiny overall improvements.
>>
>> Today was different. Without asking, indeed, without even a warning,
>> they installed GDM, Gnome3 and pulse audio, thus rendering my
>> computer totally useless. The only thing I could do was reboot, then
>> log into recovery mode, find aptitude and delete the crap.
>>
>> I will never really trust debian again :(
>
> apt-get upgrade didn't show what it was planning to do? That sounds
> unlikely, but if it did happen, then something is very wrong in
> debian-land.

Hmmm, haven't had Debian do that to me. A DIST-UPGRADE might have messed
things up, but not a straight upgrade. A straight upgrade doesn't
install things you don't already have installed unless (I think) they're
a dependency of something else you already have installed. IOW, you
already had something on there that involved GDM, Gnome3 or PulseAudio.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community