[LAU] What on earth...

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 22 05:43:23 UTC 2013

On 12/21/2013 07:07 PM, hermann meyer wrote:
> Am 22.12.2013 04:48, schrieb david:
>> On 12/21/2013 01:41 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

>>> apt-get upgrade didn't show what it was planning to do? That sounds
>>> unlikely, but if it did happen, then something is very wrong in
>>> debian-land.
>>
>> Hmmm, haven't had Debian do that to me. A DIST-UPGRADE might have
>> messed things up, but not a straight upgrade. A straight upgrade
>> doesn't install things you don't already have installed unless (I
>> think) they're a dependency of something else you already have
>> installed. IOW, you already had something on there that involved GDM,
>> Gnome3 or PulseAudio.
>>

> Funny, I did a full dist-upgrade on my debian-sid box yesterday, which
> /remove/ GDM. But indeed, apt-get informs me before about any new
> package, as well about any package it wish to remove.
> So I switch to lightdm before the dist-upgrade.
> By the way, you should be careful with a  "straight upgrade" on debian
> sid, better do a DIST-UPGRADE, because, for example, library’s could
> come in new, non-compatible versions, which make it necessary to  remove
> older versions before they get replaced with newer ones (with changed
> names). When you only do "straight upgrade", you will end up sooner or
> later in a unstable system state.

Hmm, have been doing just straight upgrades for many years now and
haven't encountered an unstable system state. So far, if a straight
upgrade has hit a situation where an upgraded package requires some new
library with a different name, it lets me know and I can deal with it.

I've done dist-upgrades in the past, and successfully had them hose
installed systems, so I prefer periodic upgrades, generally sticking to
only upgrading specific apps I use.

But I run Aptosid, with turns Debian Sid into a very stable system.
Aptosid does a good job of vetting package updates. I know a while ago
they were blocking all Gnome updates because various core Gnome packages
were in transition.

Of course, the most important part of any upgrade is to make a good
backup of the system partition before the upgrade!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community