[LAU] Fwd: GMANE and complex networks

Renato Fabbri renato.fabbri at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 01:38:23 UTC 2013

Hi Philipp,

these SNA (Social Network Analysis) were so much the hype, don't
really know if they shine so much
these days.
This is a work from the _physics_ point of view, as an attempt to
observe natural laws (statistical physics, complex networks).
In this sense, this poses a somewhat interesting
question, as to how do or do not our interactions yield natural structures.
These "natural structures" are found in gene, food, airport, bone
cavities, sexual etc networks.
In what way are these (email) interaction
networks the same or different from these other networks, if in any sense?
Are there good uses of these structures that the community can make?

In a first attempt to characterize these interaction networks' topology,
reported on the article, there were three main results:
1) stability in which criteria (measures) give better resolution for
understanding (classifying) activity of these interaction networks
(seen in PCA composition by original measures). Connectivity
is mandatory, followed by asymmetries of participation and relations,
and, in third place, stands clustering as formation of community
structures ("all knows all").
2) There is clear deviation from an uniform distribution of
interaction. This deviation
reveals 3 sectors: periphery (~80% participants), intermediary (15%
participants)
and hub sectors (~5% participants). Exact method for this division
is detailed in text. Last pages of the article:
http://sourceforge.net/p/labmacambira/fimDoMundo/ci/master/tree/textos/evolutionSN/evsn.pdf?format=raw
has figures that exhibit this ternary division as networks evolves,
within a fixed number of messages.
3) Stability of activity along time, with respect to seconds of a
minute, minutes of an hour, days of the month. Concentration
of activity along hours of the day, days of the week and months on the year.
X) These results hold for all lists analysed, including all 4 lists
selected for formal report.

Thanks for pointing "big data", I did not mean to go that way, but for
extracting information all my 8GB RAM is used, being
selective at each run and running tens of times. ( These scripts:
sourceforge.net/p/labmacambira/fimDoMundo/ci/master/tree/python/toolkitGMANE/ )

Regards,
Renato

GNU/Linux User #479299
labmacambira.sf.net