[LAU] Easiest way to extract score from an audio file

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 14:20:36 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 06:31 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 22:41 -1000, david wrote:
>> I'm really disappointed by a number of people who've learned to play
>> by listening to others' performances; they seem to have difficulty
>> coming up with their own sound

In my opinion, learning and mimicking styles (and performances thereof)
are core staples of all musical training (along with theory). It is the
way in which these styles form the basis of a more developed or even
"new" style that separates mediocrity from genius.

> you're right, but there's a good reason for not playing music your own
> style.

There are others, e.g., you are learning an instrument, you make your
living playing covers, you are a classical musician adhering to a
particular performance practice (based on period/genre) etc.

> Usually they do it, because they want feedback, they don't get with
> their own sound. If you do something new, less people understand this,
> if you imitate something, people are able to understand what you do.

Gross over-generalization ... see other, less vain and more practical
reasons above.

> Imagine when you was young. Go tell your parents that you want to become
> a professional musician, you need an evidence to show them that you are
> able to be a professional musician. If you tell your parents that you
> want to become a banker no evidence is needed. However, you can't play
> your own compositions, you need to play music from musicians that are
> known to be geniuses.

Another gross over-generalization with a flawed analogy. I believe a
particular response to the question of a child's hopes and dreams
depends on your parent/guardian.

> If you tell your parents, teachers etc. that you want to become a
> painter (artist), they recommend to become a house-painter and decorator
> or car varnisher instead.

I'm glad I nor any of my childhood friends didn't have that type of
parent or teacher.

> It's a long and hard way before you are allowed to make your own music,
> to paint your own pictures.

There is no long, hard road to self-style. Perhaps you meant the long
road to fame and fortune.

David