[LAU] Linux compatible keybord controller?

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 12:08:32 UTC 2013

On 12/31/2013 01:03 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 12:40 PM, Moshe Werner wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I'm in the market for some nice keybord controller.
>> I would be glad to hear your recommendations.
>>
>> Her are the musthaves:
>> 1. Linux compatibility
>> 2. Pitch + Modulation
>> 3. Velocity sensitive (aftertouch would be nice but not mandatory)
>>
>> Also some assignable pads and knobs woud be useful.
>>
>> Would love to have your insights.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Moshe
> I love my M-audio Axiom. Has all the things you requested. Totally
> programmable, user selectable velocity response etc etc. All USB MIDI
> controllers should work with Linux out of the box.
>
> I hear the Behringer is also pretty cool and should be a bit cheaper,
> maybe someone can confirm. I think Thomann are making their own now too.
>
> Also have an Akai MPK Mini which is great for travel (+ as a bonus a
> pretty cool tap arpeggiator which the Axiom doesn't have), however it
> does not have full size keys and after-touch.
Oh, the axiom has additional Midi ports - I bought an old Yamaha
keyboard from a second hand store which I connect here and they
automagically appear as my second controller in Jack. That's also
another (cheaper) option if your audio interface has MIDI ports - just
grab an old MIDI enabled Yamaha/Casio keyboard. Should be plenty on ebay
etc.