[LAU] Loop Composition

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:09:03 UTC 2013

Hello all,

My composition workflow is based on loops - starting by creating rythms in
Hydrogen and recording a few drum loops in Ardour, creating a bass line
with amSynth or ZynAddSubFX and recording a few bass loops in Ardour,
recording some guitars in Ardour and creating some samples from that...

The difficulty I'm having in Linux is to create composition from those
loops.
In Ardour is is time consuming to reorganise the loops to test new
order/composition (because Ardour is not meant for that).

My idea of a workflow would be to have a tool to try out the different
loops in different order and "jam" with them to see what works and what
doesn't.

Then once that would be done - I would re-record everything properly in
Ardour (drums with multiple tracks, breaks, etc... a more natural way of
playing, guitar played and not looped, etc)

I have done some research and found "only" 6 tools:
- LMMS - it is mentionned several times that it is designed around loop
composition, but I'm not sure about being able to jam with them. (but at
least being able to compose and move the loops around would be handy)
- Luppp, SooperLooper and FreeWheeling - they more look like software
version of JamMan to me and meant to be played "live"...
- Giada - that's the last one I found, but the website describes a tool
more for DJing and looping complete songs instead of actual instrument
loops...
- Bitwig - I guess Bitwig will be THE killer tool to work with loops from
what I could tell from the website.....but we are still talking a few
months before general availability...

I admit, I didn't really try these tools - I was hoping if anybody in the
community had a similar workflow and could advise in anyway :)

Thanks in advance

Aurélien