[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Jason Jones poeticintensity at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:28:21 UTC 2013

Great question, Dave.  I've been running a semi-professional studio used
for recording client's songs (whatever they may be) for 3 years now, and
I've decided to use Linux.  I'll list the issues I've experienced.

   1. Lack of good synth / voice plugins.  Admittedly, I've never tried to
   get VST working in Ardour (and Mixbus), but if that really is as stable as
   people seem to profess, I'll have to give it a shot.  I need something like
   EastWest Brass and Strings and such.  Something *really* high-quality that
   works as a plugin.
   2. I need something akin to Beat Detective.  More often than not,
   horrible drummers come in, and it would be helpful if I could use a
   software-based rhythm detection and correction software instead of
   quantizing it by hand.  I understand that Rhythm Ferret will eventually be
   able to do this, but I haven't seen it working yet.
   3. MIDI integration in the DAW.  Ardour 3 will have this, and thank
   heavens for that.  Using Muse->Jack->Ardour works, but it's a bit
   cumbersome.

After thinking for a bit, I believe that's all of it.  I've thoroughly
enjoyed using Linux, and my clients don't seem to care what I use
(especially when the resultant quality of their masters exceeds their
expectations by a long shot).  I plan on using Linux for as long as I'm
able, but the lack of good pro-quality synth / voice plugins is hurting.
That said, I simply must say how awesome the FX plugins for Linux are.
Reverbs / delays / compressors / limiters / gates / EQs are all just as
good, if not better than, any other on any other platform.  Kudos to those
at LinuxDSP, as well as everyone else developing these awesome plugins.  I
can't wait to try out the Calf plugins, either!  Those look like they're
really well done.

--Jason

www.advancedbudgetstudios.com