[LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Devin Anderson surfacepatterns at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:13:02 UTC 2013

Hi Louigi,

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:

> "1.) What else can I do, as a developer, to make users feel more involved?"
>
> Hey Davin!
> One of the most responsive devs are those that
> a. respond quickly
> b. actively develop their software
> c. integrate suggestions quickly
>
> In Linux Audio excellent response I get from Rui on his Qtractor and on
> Giada.
>
> All in all, it is always best when software is developed actively. Real
> problems arise,
> when development slows down or comes to a halt.

Unfortunately, this leaves some developers with a chicken and egg
problem.  Developers can't respond at all if there's nothing to
respond to, and there's a real danger of software development coming
to a halt if users don't give feedback on how things can be improved.

I've seen this situation quite a few times:

1.) Developer releases software.
2.) Users download software.
3.) Users don't give feedback, or give very little feedback, on software.
4.) Developer doesn't continue to develop software because (s)he's
unmotivated to continue due to a perceived lack of community interest
and/or because his/her requirements for the software are satisfied.
5.) Bit-rot ensues.

On a more positive note, I think this thread is helping to open a path
of communication between users and developers about advancing our
community that really needed to be addressed.

Thanks again, Dave.

--
Devin Anderson
surfacepatterns (at) gmail (dot) com