[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Feb 5 19:55:39 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 05 February 2013 21:18:03 Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2013 18:26:24 David Baron wrote:
> > My main complaint is not really about Linux, per se, but the whole DAW,
> > etc., scene: Lack of interoperability!
> >
> > I have a lot of Cakewalk files from the Windows days. Cannot do anything
> > with them besides play two tracks in Cakewalk-Express using WINE.
>
> That is because you have been ignoring that KMidimon reads and plays
> Cakewalk WRK files. And my library drumstick-file is available under a
> free license, offering this functionality to any interested developer.
>
> For me, this says everything about the worse problem in the Linux audio
> development community.

Thanks for that. I did not know it played the MIDI from these and had never
used kmidimon! I also have the original MIDI files which were simply imported
into Cakewalk. They are very densely post-processed and choke Timidity quite
easily. Still play fine through my rusty-trusty sw60xg card running as a
mpu401 (I have an oddball MB which has ... ISA slots!).

Kmidimon, of course, will not get me the audio tracks, the pre-existing mix-
automation, etc. Plugins, I would not expect. If I want to redo this material,
I would remix it anyway but I need to get it into a Linux DAW. So a
aatranslate, if the OLD files are compatible with Sonar, might be of help.

MIDI is the most "primitive" level and there is nearly full interoperabilty
through midi files. Workflow beyond that is the problem.