[LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Feb 5 20:34:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, February 5, 2013 8:10 am, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 02/05/2013 10:42 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 10:37 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>> I've found a simple metric. Just open a Sweetwater catalog to the pages
>>> for computer audio interfaces and count the ones with Linux support.
>> How do you ensure that an audio device _really_ is supported?
>>

> Hi Ralf,
>
> Well, since I don't really know what you really mean by "really"
> supported, I'll hazard my own method:
>
> if (device != FIREWIRE_DEVICE)
>    check (ALSA && 4Front)
>      print status
> else
>    check FFADO
>      print status
> endif
>
> Wrt USB: The snd-usb-audio module is an ALSA module, but class
> compliance makes things a little more difficult. My method wrt USB
> compatibility is to ask Clemens. :)

Most good music stores will let you try before buying. I take my computer
right into the store and plug things in. It does mean I don't buy stuff
that requires extra tweaks... just stuff that "just works".

This approach also lets those who run these stores know linux users are
out there and that they do buy based on "works with linux".

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net