[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 07:46:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> Personally, I salute to people who think that e.g. client/server
> architecture of LinuxSampler is great and should be directly exposed
> to users. I'll never be half as cool. I'm a complete and utter bore
> who never gets any life. Unlike the sparkling minds of true UNIX gurus
> who get all the girls/boys, because talking about low-level stuff is
> so frigging sexy :)

P.S. Actually, one of the serious problems in software design is
understanding when low-level stuff is OK to expose, and what counts
for low-level. Historically free software developers solved this in
three ways:

1) dump everything into one huge dialog and let the geekest survive (FAIL)
2) put everything extra under "Advanced" tab and let users pick their
own settings (FAIL)
2) get rid of extra settings, streamline defaults (FAIL)

The 3rd should actually be WIN, was it not for the screaming majority of geeks.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org