[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:31:27 UTC 2013

On 02/06/2013 08:10 AM, cunnilinux himself wrote:
> to summarize it all.
>
> give the users
> 1) one WORKING ableton clone
> 2) WORKING VST support
> &
> 3) something like WORKING ardour 3
> — and they will be happily happy even with linux.
> even with sloooow and monstrous ubuntu studio.
>
> the rest is good to have, but not THAT critical.

See, here is where expectations/assumptions are what leads to claims of
"linux audio sucks."  First off, expecting a "clone" of a Windows
application is unrealistic for many reasons, and basing an opinion of
linux on whether or not that "clone" exists is silly.  Why?  Mainly
because a huge number of people have never used Ableton, have no idea
what it does, and have no use for it.

I got Ableton as a freebie with some piece of hardware I bought last
year.  I looked at it once, and promptly uninstalled it.  If that was to
be considered the pinnacle of "windows audio," I would have concluded
that "windows audio sucks."  Windows audio DOES suck in many ways, but
it has nothing to do with Ableton.  I just have zero use for what it
does.  On Windows, all I use and need is Sonar.

Likewise VST support.  Sure, it would be nice to have, assuming that
some effects you want are available in VST format, but it's not a
deal-breaker.

The majority of linux audio users would be content with either
Qtractor,  Ardour 2 plus Rosegarden, or Ardour 3.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]