[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 7 16:49:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Louis Gorenfeld
<louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe I'm being stubborn, but either way, I don't see a problem. My
> understanding is anyone can freely click through the license and
> download the SDK to compile from source, and that binaries can be
> freely distributed.

this is wrong.

when you give someone else a GPL'ed application, you must be able (and
willing) to give them all the source code required to build the app
themselves. you cannot (legally) do that if the source includes the
steinberg VST SDK. ergo, you cannot distribute a binary that was built
using the VST SDK.

as has been pointed out, this is largely irrelevant - no linux apps that
support (even windows) VST plugins uses the steinberg VST SDK anymore,
given that we have vestige.

the issues with "VST plugins" at this point in time are NOT about the VST
SDK licensing, but about the hassles, perils and wisdom of hosting bits of
code written for Windows.