[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:26:23 UTC 2013

2013/2/8 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>

> On 02/06/2013 10:30 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>
>>         One could be a professional with/without skills and/or an hobbyist
>>         with/without skills, no matter who you are you need apps which
>>         doesn't
>>         turn sound engineer or a guitar player or composer into a *nix
>>         OS student.
>>

>>     I'm sorry, but if you're a professional, *you know how to use your
>>     tools*. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know which end of a
>>     hammer to use for driving a nail, or hauled out a chainsaw for doing
>>     some fine veneer work while building a cabinet? What would you think
>>     of a guitarist who never learned to set up their Fancy Big Stomp Box
>>     because of all those "technical" things like sustain or reverb, etc?
>>     "I just want to make sounds! Why do I have to know the difference
>>     between sustain and reverb? I should be able to get what I want
>>     without having to do anything!" ;-)
>>
>> Disagree, good musicians know or not how to use a fuzz box, a
>> compressor, eq, delay or even learn the workflow of a console.
>>

> Because they've set out to learn it. They've learned to use their tools.
>
>  On the opposite, the knowledge of these things doesn't turn you in a
>> good guitarist, and many good ones don't need/use this stuff at all.
>> Your carpenter is the equivalent of a bad musician... I would never get
>> in touch with him, but he should learn music first (not an OS).
>>
>> There's absolutely no relation in being professional musician and the
>> knowledge of the "standard" linux audio workflow (setup jack, understand
>> the client/server thing, get rid of pulse, write .asoundrc, MIDI
>> stuff...).
>>

> They're part of the tool set. Just like a Windows user might have to learn
> to do some arcane non-music thing to make it work. A professional learns
> how to do them. A smart professional learns how to do them in such a way
> that they don't have to do them again. ;-)

<mildly ironic>...a professional is inside a recording studio or on stage
half his life, in the neighbourhood of is amp, guitar on his shoulder, with
N pedals at his feet, with N varying from 0 to infinity :-) </mildly ironic>

I believe we are not professionals Dave, we are music lovers and musicians
with enough IT skills to love Linux, playing mostly alone or in bands, with
ten shows/year (more or less), stucked to this mailing list, occasionally
with some music delivered (for free) on the internet, but if we ever have
to live 100% with music we would be starved to death :-(

regards
-r