[LAU] Tracking at 44.1 vs. 48k vs 96k?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Feb 8 14:05:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, February 7, 2013 11:10 pm, James Stone wrote:

> How do I test this? Do I need to record something at the different
> samplerates, or is it sufficient to just playback some material? Can't
> say I've noticed much difference in sound quality so far, but I
> haven't been listening *very* carefully..

The material has to be generated at the test sample rate. Taking some
music from a CD and listening at different playback rates will not say
much. It is recording you want to test, so you should record at different
rates. As I said before though, it is not just the soundcard but
everything before that too. If you are recording with an sm58, it's
characteristics will probably define the sound more than the sampling
rate. (for example) The differences will be in the 15 to 20 khz range...
beyond most dynamic mics.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net