[LAU] The Psychology of Music

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Feb 8 14:57:15 UTC 2013

On Fri, February 8, 2013 5:55 am, Stephen Stubbs wrote:
> On 2/8/2013 1:43 AM, david wrote:
>> http://visual.ly/psychology-music?utm_source=visually_embed
>>
> So now we have quantitative proof that the Ancient Greeks' views on
> music were correct.
>
> Music is not an art but a science, with well defined laws that enable
> the musician to induce specific effects and emotions in the listener.

I don't know that "art" and "science" are mutually exclusive. The art is
in the creation and the science in the analysis. Communication only works
where there is clearly defined meaning to things, often in a cultural
context. I have found it interesting to watch how a child reacts to some
kinds of music. It is obvious that they are getting a different meaning
from the same piece of music than I am. It is the same with writing a book
(I remember scientifically analyzing books in school) or painting a
picture. The tools used to communicate can be defined with science, but
art keeps creating new things to define.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net